Sunday, January 25, 2009

Soggy Sunday











We spent a very pleasant three hours on the plot yesterday.The weather was kind and we were able to catch up a bit on a number of jobs that had been neglected. I removed the bean canes and put on the compost heap what remained of our failed sprouts. I will give them one more try this year to see if I can get any bigger than marbles.








I went to the potato fair today and just bought some Charlotte. I arrived at 10am as it opened and the queue was already quite long.They had an amazing selection of varieties and you are able to buy single tubers.The stall that interested me was a chap selling old gardening tools mostly from the 1950's and 60's they were real quality unlike some of the stuff on sale nowadays.








I then went to our site as I had to pay my rent for this year. We had so much rain last night that a part of my new plot was waterlogged, I shall have to remember which bits when it comes to sowing and planting.








Filled the bird feeders up and called it a day. We had a green woodpecker among our plum trees yesterday. Today just robin and great tits.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you posting on your blog again. I've been waiting for updates.

Congratulations to Rhys. It sounds like you might have the next David Beckham there!

Still no news on an allotment here. I must be slowly clawing my way up to the top of the list, but for now, it sounds like I will be growing in containers again this year.

I've also gone for Charlotte's this year, as well as Kestrel and Rooster. I've only got a few of each though, as they will be going in buckets.

Jo.

Jim and Barbara said...

Thanks for your comments Jo.
It can be frustrating waiting for a plot.Five years ago we had a choice of twelve on our site,now we have a waiting list of at least twenty people.Keep keen and hopefully your patience will be rewarded.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara and Jim

Happy New Year...I didn't know you had a blog! Mega cool dudes.

Mike and I also went to the potato day in Peckham. We bought way too many seeds, some horseradish and also a vintage flower pot-holder....Who knew someone could spend so much money on an event called "potato day"! Mike also spent 90 pence on a variety called Riviera. Oy veh - like we needed more potatoes! :)

Congrats to your grandson. What great news!

Also congratulations on your appointment to the committee, Barbara - you mover and shaker you! ;)

sue the bee girl