Sunday, January 28, 2007

Introducing Don


We arrived early at the potato fair today as in previous years it has been quite crowded. And you are more likely to get the variety of potato that you are after.

We bought Sarpo Mira and Axona as we are only growing maincrop this year. They did so well for us last time, not a sign of blight and plenty of good size spuds. They were great for baking and mash,not so good for chips which suited us fine.

We also bought some onion sets (Sturon) and some shallots (Red Sun) and also some banana shallots which I have been looking for for quite a while.

Neither of us has ever tasted Globe Artichoke so bought one to try, but I have just been reading that they grow to about six feet tall so will have to be very careful where we plant it because of the shade it may cause.

Later at the plot Barbara tidied her herb bed and I lifted some leeks and cut some thyme which we have just turned into soup.

Gave my new scarecrow that my grandchildren made us for Christmas a bit of an airing before tucking him up again in the shed when we left. They called him "Don" after a Crystal Palace football legend "Don Rogers" a favourite player of mine from a few years ago.

While we were there a fellow plot holder "Ron" gave me some hand warmers which consists of a pouch full of gel which heats up when you click a disc inside it. They stay warm for ages and can be reused by boiling them in some water for ten minutes or so. It really was kind, and meeting people like him is another reason why I love allotmenteering so much.

1 comment:

Melanie Rimmer said...

Hi, I found your blog whilst browing for other allotment gardening/self-sufficiency blogs. I used to have a scarecrow but the flipping vandals dismembered her. Mine was called Pippa. What's yours called?

I have added you to my links at www.bean-sprouts.blogspot.com If you'd like to link back to me that would be great, but of course it is entirely up to you.

Regards,