Wednesday, October 19, 2005

XXXXXXX Foxes

Spent loads of time on the plot yesterday planting my Garlic and Onions. I left the lines of string as I was going to put name tags in today. It seems that during the night the local foxes had a get together and danced the night away on my plot. Grrrrrrrrr.

On River Cottage yesterday Hugh F.W. went to his local barbers and collected the cut hair and hung it in bags, old tights etc. around his sheep and hen pens to deter the foxes. Anyone know if this works? I would not mind so much ( he says through gritted teeth ) if they ate the garlic and onion bulbs but the just throw them around. They seem to like chewing string for some reason, the next time I shall impregnate the string with mustard, that should make there eyes water.

Harvested some swede and chard and raspberries yesterday so was not a complete waste of time, will try to replant tomorrow if it is dry enough.

3 comments:

Emma Kitteridge said...

The mustard's mean Jim 0 why not just move the disco ball & let them have a party elsewhere! There's something to be said for foxes on the plot - no rabbits!

Anonymous said...

I tried the hair, but like many things, you don't know if it's worked or not. It's certainly worth a try. The more defences the better.
After you've have a wee in the compost heap, have a couple around the chicken run, foxes don't like this - I've seen one have a sniff and clear off (watch stinging nettles though - I had a very nasty accident one day) !!
Great articles by the way.
Hope to see you watching Kent play at Beckenham next year !

Anonymous said...

thank you nice sharing
html kodları
maswey blog
türkçe firefox indir